Please put Saturday 24 April 2021 in your calendars as a VIP day. This is because it’s not every day that we get the chance to lead the whole planet in a tai chi and qigong session.
Due to our geographical position on the globe, Aotearoa/New Zealand will be first in the world on 24th April to celebrate World Tai Chi & Qigong Day. (Qigong is pronounced ‘chee – gong’.)
On the last Saturday in April, tens of thousands of people in 100s of cities across the planet join together to celebrate the tranquility and harmony that is tai chi and qigong. Every session starts at 10am local time in each country.
At 10am NZ time on 24th April, will begin this world-wide wave of peace, goodwill and aroha. We will open our arms to welcome others into a global tai chi whānau,
Please invite family, friends and colleagues to this special FREE event. It is suitable for all ages and abilities. Beginners are very welcome.
- When: Saturday 24 April, 10 – 10.45am. Please arrive from 9.40am onwards and be ready to start at 10am
- Where: Cornwall Park, our usual summer tai chi spot under the trees on the left hand side as you’re coming up Pohutukawa Drive from Greenlane Road West. (look for the signs).
- What to wear and bring: Wear comfortable clothing and shoes, bring a water bottle and a sun hat.
- If wet: Please look for the cancellation notice on the Kia Ora Tai Chi facebook page around 3.30pm on Friday 23 April (the day before). Alternatively, contact me or the Cornwall Park Information Centre at Huia Lodge
Described as “moving meditation”, tai chi is an ancient Chinese martial art that combines relaxed movements which are gentle on the joints with mental focus and mindfulness. Qigong is a meditative breathing programme designed to improve your breathing and well-being.
Check out the video of our 2019 World Tai Chi & Qigong Day celebration in Cornwall Park: https://youtu.be/Io-TbyB-fFw
Find out more:
- About the global World Tai Chi & Qigong Day
- Cornwall Park, an oasis in the middle of Auckland. and how to get there.
- What is tai chi?
- What is Qigong?
- Discover the many health benefits of tai chi and qigong
- Read the research/evidence from clinical trials: A comprehensive review of health benefits of qigong and tai chi