Free SpinPoi in Cornwall Park, Saturday 11 March, 2023
This is an exciting and FREE opportunity on Saturday 11 March, 2023, with Kia Ora Tai Chi & SpinPoi, Cornwall Park and the Re-Creators team:
- 10 – 11.30am: Create your very own poi. This is truly a zero-waste class!
- 12 noon – 12.30pm: Learn how to swing and spin your poi and enjoy the feeling of body connectivity and flow with SpinPoi
- You are welcome to attend both of the above sessions or just one if you wish.
Saturday 11th March
10 am-11.30 am: Create your own poi with the Re-Creators team
- Suited for ages 8+, parent participation is encouraged.
- All materials and equipment will be provided. Things might get a little messy, so wear old clothes!
- Registration is not required – poi making workshop is available while material stocks last.
Location: Cornwall Park, outdoors, next to Acacia Cottage (opposite the Huia Lodge Discovery Hub and the Cornwall Park Bistro (the original tea rooms)). Vehicle access from Green Lane West park gates. Acacia Cottage is at Location 8 on this map.
Parking: There is limited parking near Acacia Cottage. More parking is available at Location 6 or near the cafe at Location 4 on this map. If possible, please plan to arrive in Cornwall Park well before the start time of the workshop. Parking spaces can fill quickly as many visit the park to enjoy its beauty in the sunshine.
At the workshop: You’ll be using reclaimed t-shirts and wool stuffing off-cuts to make your poi. T-shirts are upcycled and reused in every step of the process in this workshop, from making the poi’s braid and pompom, to wrapping the poi ball. Every scrap of waste made during the poi-making process is incorporated back into the poi. This is truly a zero-waste class!
This drop-in workshop will be held outdoors next to Acacia Cottage in Cornwall Park.
I’ll be there to help the Re-Creators team and to assist and encourage you. When you finish making your poi, I’ll show you some swinging and spinning moves so you can twirl your poi with ease.
At 12 noon to 12.30pm, Saturday 11th March
Free SpinPoi group session with a qualified SpinPoi instructor. That’s me (Jocelyn of Kia Ora Tai Chi)
- Learn how to swing and spin your poi.
- Enjoy the feeling of flow and body connectivity found in SpinPoi.
- Bring your own poi. (A limited number will be available for those who don’t have their own.)
- All ages and skill levels are welcome, although it is more suited for ages 5+. Parent participation is encouraged for all children.
- Bring your water bottle, and a sun hat/sunblock and wear comfy clothing and footwear.
Location: Cornwall Park, on the grass in the Native Arboretum (below Acacia Cottage). Vehicle access from Green Lane West park gates. The Native Arboretum is at Location 7 on this map.
Parking: There is limited parking near Acacia Cottage. The nearest parking to the Native Arboretum is at Location 6 or near the cafe at Location 4 on this map. If possible, please plan to arrive in Cornwall Park well before the start time for SpinPoi. Parking spaces can fill quickly as many visit the park to enjoy its beauty in the sunshine.
All welcome for this free, family-friendly and super fun group class to learn SpinPoi! This is an exercise inspired by Māori tradition, which was adapted in the 21st Century to become a scientifically-proven way to help your brain and body feel amazing!
This SpinPoi session is open and free to anyone to have a go.
You don’t need to have attended the earlier poi making workshop to join in with the group SpinPoi session.
Find out more:
- Cornwall Park, visitor information, how to get there: https://cornwallpark.co.nz/visitor-info
- Map of Cornwall Park: https://cornwallpark.co.nz/uploads/logos/Cornwall-Park-Map.pdf
- About SpinPoi: https://spinpoi.com/
- About the qualified SpinPoi instructor, Jocelyn Watkin
- Recreators: https://therecreators.co.nz/